Coloring the Page: Gray



Let’s look at synonyms for GRAY today as part of the “Color Kaleidoscope” series. I'll avoid the Fifty Shades jokes if you will. :)

For the back story on this blog series, see the previous posts for: “Red,” “Blue,” “Green,” “Yellow,” “Black,” “Brown” and “White.”

Ashen: Lacking color or slightly grayish
Clay: Light brown to light or dark gray
Gun Metal: A metallic darker shade of gray
Haze: Grayish
Pearl Gray: Off white; a light gray from yellowish to bluish in hue
Pewter: Silver gray
Pigeon: Various shades of gray from light to dark
Powder: Lighter shade of gray
Slate: A dark gray to bluish gray
Steel: Dark gray to almost a light purple

10 comments:

  1. Hmm, I don't think I'll be satisfied with describing something as simply gray anymore. And, no, I won't ding you for not having fifty different shades. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. That helps, as I have a character in my next book with grey skin. (Hey, it IS science fiction.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool idea for a series. Pigeon grey - that's new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea for a series!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings!

    I'm hopping over from GUTGAA and thought I would visit some blogs before the fun begins! Nice to meet you...you have a lovely blog!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donnalmartin.com
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. LG - No more simple grays for you.

    Alex - That's awesome! One of my fantasy races has skin that changes color based on emotion.

    Nick - Glad to help.

    Gina - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even with gray, you manage to be colorful, Nicole!

    And as incredibly difficult as it is for a helpless punster as myself, I shall refrain from any mention of that book...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I like steel! Great post. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE color words!! There's something so solid yet sinister about "gunmetal." I feel like it would be used to describe the eyes of a very serious, determined man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I never realized there are so many names for the word "Grey". So if I want a different word for "Grey", I can use those. Great post, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete