We interrupt this blog relay to bring you…an Olympic update.
I don’t know about everyone else, but I’ve become desperately distracted by the Olympics these days. Though, maybe I shouldn’t be surprised. Apparently my hometown is #4 in the nation for Olympic viewership. Want to see where your town ranks? This article lists the top five areas.
Just like we each have our own favorite genres , authors and characters, we probably all have our favorite moments so far in these Games.
- The Opening Ceremonies torch lighting. I thought it was brilliant and touching how the young athletes lit it together, and it grew into the final flame! And the forged rings were amazing!
- Michael Phelps. What can I say? I’m a swimmer. I love seeing my sport get coverage, and there have been SO many awesome swims in these games!!
- The 39-year-old Bulgarian gymnast who’s still competing so he can “give hope to the younger generation.” He trained for 10 years in my old roomie’s hometown!
- Gymnastics has been awesome so far! The US ladies won, and it was a delight to watch the hometown reception for the Great Britain guys’ medal too.
- The stories of family sacrifice. Can you imagine moving across the country, away from your family, to pursue writing? One Chinese athlete had been home for a grand total of 17 days in the last decade. That’s a level of commitment that’s difficult for me to imagine. It’s so heartwarming to see it pay off!
And tomorrow, in the fighter's corner, we have Write Club coach extraordinaire DL Hammons!!