Ask the Reader #1

I thought it’d be fun to get an outside perspective on the world of writing and books. We authors are always wondering about the state of the market. Who better to ask than readers themselves?

First up is my friend Ann from Chicago. She’s an avid reader and, as an elementary teacher, she also takes note of what the kids and school libraries are stocking up on. Take it away, Ann!

What genres do you typically read?  It varies, usually some combination of mystery/adventure/romance, or children's lit.

Who/what are some of your favorite authors or books? Harry Potter- J.K. Rowling, Randy Wayne White, Jodi Piccoult.

What is most likely to draw you into a book? Recommendations from friends or family, an interesting plot and setting, fast-moving, easy read.

What are some of your big turn-offs in a book? Slow-moving, drawn out descriptions, characters I don't care about.

What do you wish authors would do more of? Tell a good original story without getting too "englishy."

How do you interact with your favorite authors (visit websites, write letters, etc.)? I don't really.

How do you hear about new books that might interest you? From friends and family.

Where do you typically get your books these days? Barnes and Noble or the library.

Have you ever had a “throw the book across the room” moment? If so, why? When a favorite character was killed.

What do you look for in a good story? Characters I like and can relate to, and an interesting plot.

Thanks Ann! I'll sprinkle these reader interviews in on a regular basis, so stay tuned for more.

4 comments:

  1. Nicole, I think this is such a neat idea! I'd love to hear more from the reader's perspective--I look forward to your posts!

    Interesting that she doesn't interact w/authors via blogs or Twitter. I have a feeling once we peel back our writing layer, we would find this to be a common concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TL! I've got several more lined up.

      I thought that was interesting, too. Though I have to admit, I only follow a few and not very regularly. I think your guess is probably right on.

      Delete
  2. Now that's a great idea. Interviewing readers. I haven't thought of that before now. Good to know what the readers want first hand. :)

    ReplyDelete