Do You Suffer from Online Book-marketing-itis?

If you’re anything like me, some days the last thing you want to do is stare at a computer writing, editing, checking blogs or scanning Twitter feeds. Most of us already use computers for hours on end at work, our iPhones or Droids are constantly close at hand, and then we come home and jump right back onto our laptops. I am notorious for doing this!

Don’t get me wrong, I love my computer, but sometimes I desperately need to get off the grid. Yet, we all know how important it is to put ourselves out there, to network, meet new people and make connections…constantly.

So, why can’t we do both? Here are some fun ways to unplug AND still work on advancing our writing careers.
  • Check out the author readings or events at your local bookstores
  • Find an Indie store in your neighborhood and stop by to introduce yourself to the owner
  • Explore the class offerings at a nearby writing studio
  • Go to the library – read, visit, volunteer!
  • Find a coffee shop and write by hand for a few hours
  • Tutor a child in reading or writing
  • Start a book club (or stop by your friend’s for the week)
  • Meet up with another local author to chat and commiserate
  • Seek your next source of inspiration
Ready, set, go! No, really. Go. We’ll still be here when you get back.

12 comments:

  1. I suffer from this, but my writing suffers even more! I know I need to unplug and I'm working on it. In the meantime, I'm learning to multi task. If I'm going to watch the news or a tv show, I can follow on Twitter or read a few blogs in the meantime.

    But I love the idea of getting out and writing by hand. How nice to get away from the computer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really tricky to get away sometimes! I used to do all my writing by hand...now I rarely do. It's kinda sad.

      Also a fan of the multi-tasking approach. I'm catching up on blogs during a TV show right now. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Welcome on board the A to Z Challenge! We shall have loads of fun exchanging comments and visits!
    #atozchallenge
    A to Z Challenge April 2012

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so excited to do the challenge and start connecting with some of the other bloggers.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with TL Conway. Sometimes it's lovely to get away from
    The laptop and write freehand somewhere out and about where you can watch the world go by. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have recently been writing more by hand out while running all over town with my kids and it feels wonderful. Great ideas!

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 A-to-Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm quite lucky because my day job doesn't involve working at a computer, but I too agree that sometimes I want to do my creative work away from it. Hence my love for handwriting first drafts ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Cole, Shannon and Eve. E - Yay! Let's bring back freehand first drafts. :)

      Delete
  6. Great list. I recently picked up a pair of computer glasses, made to convert screen light into a more natural light that your eyes like while reflecting some of it also. now I can go for hours without a headache. Good stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Sadly, I may definitely need to look into something like that. The other big annoyance for me is simply sitting for hours on end.

      Delete
  7. Those are some great suggestions. I love handwriting my drafts in busy restaurants. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice list. Told myself I was going to try and attend one reading a month to support local authors but I already missed January. Writing by hand is always tough for me because I'm so slow and sloppy. I usually end up writing crazy short hand and "key words" that I can't decipher later but if it's a good enough idea or story then it'll come back around again.

    ReplyDelete