Fleas

The first time I heard this story by Corrie Ten Boom, it stole my breath. For those who don’t know, Corrie and her sister, Betsie, were held at the Ravensbruck concentration camp during WWII.

You can (and should) read this amazing story in Corrie’s own words here. The longer version is in her book, The Hiding Place.

Here’s a quick summary:

The conditions at Ravensbruck were…awful seems far too nice. But Betsie insisted they give thanks.

For everything.

Including the fleas that infested their bunks.

Corrie thought her sister was nuts. Who in their right mind would be thankful for fleas?!

Later, Corrie and Betsie found out why the Nazi guards never intruded on their secret prayer sessions.

You guessed it.

The fleas.


I think we’ve all experienced a few “fleas” in writing and in life. Those little frustrations that won’t go away, the delays just when we feel like we’re about to break through, the backslides when something else rears its head as a priority. We grumble. We cry.
But if we take a deep breath and have faith, we might just find that they’re blessings in disguise after all.
 
Happy Easter week, everyone!

10 comments:

  1. Great story...my mom is a big fan of CTB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely had a few "fleas". Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Corrie ten Boom fan, Nicole. I've even written a picture book about her...I'll have to dig it out and revise it now. My devotional this morning was about being thankful, so I appreciate this reminder. I've definitely had my share of "fleas" lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's some perspective on gratitude, if you can realize you're grateful for fleas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thinking about the fleas! Yes, in all things, give thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an amazing book. Definitely going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a really great book!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this story! and your analogy of course. :D Happy easter!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mark - Glad you enjoyed it.

    Miss Cole - I think we all do. :)

    Linda - That is so cool about your picture book!

    L.G. - It always helps me as a good reminder of perspective.

    Alex - Wise advice indeed.

    Misha - Awesome! Hope you enjoy.

    Gina - It definitely is.

    Nutschell - You too!

    ReplyDelete