Surrender

Writing is a struggle. We push so, so hard, give up so much sleep, invest so much time…and there’s still no guarantee we’ll make it. We fight against the distractions and the odds. We cry and scream and somehow drag ourselves back to the story again and again.

It’s enough to give anyone doubts in the quiet hours.

Is this really what we’re meant to do? Would it be so bad to give it up? But, we know we can’t, because this is a part of us.

I have a favorite song for times like this. It’s called Surrender, of all things, and it’s a beautiful reminder that dreams, like ours for writing, are a gift. It’s my way of reaffirming, of re-asking , of praying, “If this is truly what I’m meant to do, please, I could use a little help.”

It has always given me strength. I hope it does for you, too.

Surrender, by BarlowGirl
My hands hold safely to my dreams
Clutching tightly not one has fallen
So many years I've shaped each one
Reflecting my heart, showing who I am

Now you're asking me to show
What I'm holding oh so tightly
Can't open my hands, can't let go
Does it matter?
Should I show you?
Can't you let me go?
Surrender, surrender you whisper gently
You say I will be free
I know, but can't you see?
My dreams are me. My dreams are me.*
You say you have a plan for me
And that you want the best for my life
Told me the world had yet to see
What you can do with one
That's committed to Your calling

I know of course what I should do
That I can't hold these dreams forever
If I give them now to You
Will You take them away forever?
Or can I dream again?
*This is the line that always gets me.

11 comments:

  1. We have to take care with our dreams. They are sometimes very vulnerable in a world full of naysayers. I don't think I could give up writing, but I do think sometimes I could give up the idea of being published. Or at least published in the traditional sense. Things evolve, but that doesn't mean the dream has to die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful song! I'm going to have to look it up right now :) You're right, I've actually tried giving it up and that was a complete disaster, surrendering is the best way to go to make it in this world. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful lyrics! I can't give up...no matter what obstacles fall in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful song! Love it!

    I have given up on dreams before, but it's because I changed and no longer was happy with them. So I definitely got a chance to dream again and found what I really am supposed to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sums it all up. I couldn't even imagine not writing (fiction). It's very much a part of me. Like it is for most writers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great song and lyrics. So true!
    Thanks for the reminder, Nicole! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful song with a great message. Thanks so much for extending your hand and remind us why are we doing this. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this band, and I really needed to hear this song. Thank you for posting! I definitely agree with the "my dreams are me" bit, and sometimes, it's hard to pull away from that and look at the bigger picture.

    Best,

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty song. I played it while I was feeding my baby. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed; if it's in you to write then write you must, even when it seems like it's not worth it .

    Jamie @ Mithril Wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome song.

    I've found that sleep has to come before writing. It's been a month and this chronic fatigue is finally showing signs of improvement. You're not alone. You are the story of every writer. :)

    ReplyDelete