Running Shoes

The thing about chasing dreams is that you have to chase them. 

In hot pursuit. Like a cop after a bad guy.

You’ve got to run with all your might to keep them in sight. Even then, they can take a sudden turn down an unexpected alley and, for a moment, you’ve lost them.

They knock you down again and again.

You stand there, sweating and panting, shaking your head because you know they just slipped through your fingers. Every muscle in you aches and you wish you’d been more in shape or better prepared…somehow.

None of us can predict the course our dreams will run.

In the end, it’s up to us to make the choice.
     Give it up and call for back-up.
          Or keep running.

Me, I’d invest in a good pair of running shoes.

12 comments:

  1. This is so true. Thanks for the reminder to work for my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very few people have their dreams handed to them on a plate. That doesn't mean they are unobtainable. As you say, we need to know what they are, and then run after them with all our might. Good article, Nicole. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you put it, it so true and yet, in your words, so poetic! Beautiful post. I've bought twenty kill-ass running shoes and I'm ready to run the whole marathon, though I haven't trained, but that's just life, right? No time for rehearsals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring. Dreams are funny things, really. I have wanted to be different things in my life and when I went after them I found out that it really wasn't what I wanted after all. I don't regret it though because it has all shaped me into who I am today.

    "A dream is what you want to do but still havn't pursued."

    Go after your dreams and find out where they take you :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great post! I love chasing my dreams. It's a good thing I bought new running shoes yesterday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so true!!! I'm more of an ambler than a chaser, maybe that's why my dream of getting published is now on it's third decade!!! But I haven't given up, yet! I just travel with the tortoises (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  7. After the Green Bay half marathon last weekend, I think it's high time I get a new pair!

    What a fun perspective on the "journey." (And yes, I'm sick of the romanticized idea of a "writer's journey". I just want to get there already!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! We'll get there eventually...but I'd love sooner rather than later. :)

      Delete
  8. I'll run until I can't run anymore...then I'll crawl. They'll get tired eventually and slow down. Your post is so inspirational. :)

    ReplyDelete