F – Far Pavilions, M.M. Kaye

The Far PavilionsLoved: This is another stand-by favorite of mine. The story is utterly beautiful and gives new meaning to phrase “sweeping epic.” It was one of the first books to completely captivate me in our world rather than a fantasy one. The setting (India) is rich, violent and vibrant; the main characters (Ash and Juli) are unbelievably complex and touching. I would be beside myself with joy if this story ever came to the big screen (and the TV mini-series does NOT count).

Learned: Although the narration is fairly distant, M.M. Kaye does an excellent job of getting us into the minds of her characters. And we understand, as the story unfolds, that it is simultaneously India’s tale as much as it is Ash and Juli’s. The setting descriptions are painted with an expert touch. Kaye doesn’t use dialogue often, but she has a way of making a single word speak volumes! It packs far more power than three pages of quick-witted quips. I’m still trying to figure this out for my own stuff.


13 comments:

  1. Stories of exotic, faraway lands always appeal to me.

    J.C. Martin
    A to Z Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to take note of this one. I need to be transported to another land. I' m more apt to read closer to home literary fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so neat learning to be a better writer by reading our favorite books. Your analysis of this one is very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I learn so many things from so many different books, and I love sharing it.

      Delete
  4. I love books that feature faraway lands. Sounds like this one is right up my alley. Great A-Z post!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this book! LOVE M.M. Kaye! Seriously one of my favorites. I read her children's book "The Ordinary Princess" before I knew she wrote for adults. :) It's still one of my favorite books of all time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it, too! This is one of those rare books I feel I can honestly say is unparalleled. :)

      Delete
  6. I think I'm finally going to read this when the A to Z month is over. I've been hearing good things about it for a couple decades now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You'll have to let me know what you think.

      Delete
  7. I hadn't heard about this book before but it does sound quite interesting. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    Also, thanks for commenting on my blog.
    From Diary of a Writer in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard of this book, but you make it sound awesome. Thanks for the comment, and I am now a follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't heard of this book before now, but your description makes it sound SO interesting. I love that it's not set in a far off imaginary land, but in India of all places.

    Nicole, you're so well-read. This theme is PERFECT for you!

    ReplyDelete